Innovative purchase, clear numbers
- Solutions that entails the innovative purchase
- It is essential to analyze and determine with precision the economic model
Public administrations have seen in recent years an opportunity to use the innovative purchasing method as an alternative to the traditional acquisition of products and services. Although initially it was a great option to carry out projects that would have required a very high budgetary reserve, hardly feasible given the economic context and “cuts” existing (and still persistent) in public spending, today is already beginning To visualize this model as an effective way to modernize infrastructures and provide technologically advanced solutions to health, justice and other public areas, in co-participation with the private sector.
In other words, what was once a means basically to give rise to projects of great economic importance, today represents an end in itself for the type of solutions that entails the innovative purchase. The model was probably very early in the time, that the demand or need in itself of its existence, and given the inherent inertias of the Administration, opted to see the innovative purchase from the prism of the benefits that allowed to enjoy In its capacity as a long-term contract process, and therefore to provide a model for the payment of the contract beyond the traditional 4 years of the purchase of supplies or services. Or even, as a mechanism to be able to “dialogue” with the sector to determine “negotiated” in a relative way what the price should be and what would be acquired exactly.
There are six points that identify the essential characteristics with which a vehicle project must be counted through innovative purchase:
1. Context of containment of the expenditure and limited capacity of indebtedness that forces the administration to identify creative mechanisms that allow to finance the transformation projects that must be addressed.
2. Financing of the acquisition under a long-term contract model (“lease”) that allows suppliers to make and recover the necessary investments to carry out the transformation and / or modernization of the public services or of the infrastructures that the They support
3. Strategy and bidding process based on public-private collaboration (CPP) contracts that make it possible to hire for periods exceeding the normal maximum length allowed by the law of contracting public administrations.
4. Needs of technological transformation of high complexity and innovation in the public Administration to achieve the challenges of public management and towards the citizens to which the services are offered.
5. Incipient or non-existent innovative solutions, which need to be defined through a process of dialogue with the market, to be able to fit perfectly the needs of the Administration with the flexible offer of suppliers.
6. Complement the return of the supplier’s investment from the commercialization of these projects and / or solutions in other territories given the high reproducibility that exists in most areas of public services.
Improve your products and solutions to the market
At the moment, the elements that are more being begun to value when selecting this modality are not the first three, but just the last three. This is so, from the moment in which the Administrations and their political representatives have assumed that the main challenge with their voters is not only the one to adjust to budgets, that also, but to give answers to the demands of Citizenship in the progressive return to the welfare society, in terms of, for example, better health, better and more effective management of justice, an increase in the quality and modernization of education or, in general, Do not stay “disengaged” from the advantages of the technological advance enjoyed by the most pioneering countries in R+D+I.
And they have understood that, therefore, not only do the “Administrations” have to “win”, but also that the private sector must see in the innovative purchase an opportunity to capitalize on their investments in development and innovation, in turn, to improve the Its products and solutions to the market.
Yes, but not at any price. In its definition, it is essential to analyze and determine with precision the economic model with which we intend to put it into practice, prior to any interaction dialoged with the sector, in a broad and formal sense, to have a leadership position (“go In advance “) and a greater analytical knowledge with which to face the economic dialogue, with guarantees of not being” paying more “because of being buying innovation.
About the author
Director at DOXA Innova & Smart